Saturday, September 17, 2011

Fragile Life, Precious Time

Just one night before, he complained of chest discomfort. The next morning, he's gone.

That is my Pek Pek - my dad's elder brother. He's only 60 years old. I was shocked by this news yesterday because the last time I saw him he was still smiling and ferrying his wife around on errands. He was overweight many years ago but he made the effort to lose weight. I never thought his life would be cut short so soon, especially when my cousins are still young, with the oldest just started university and the youngest in secondary school.

RIP Pek Pek. We would do our best to look after your family.

As I have always said, funerals are for the living. Because without that ritual and ceremony, the living will go on pining for the dead; keep looking around and calling out the names of their loved ones. Having said that, because I never attended my Popo's funeral, I sometimes think that she's still living in her KL home with Pek Pek's family. Now that I missed out on Pek Pek's funeral too, there's another name to add to the list...

I feel so sorry for my three cousins. They had less than 20 years with their dad. I guess I am by far, more fortunate because I still have my parents to go home to.

Let us thank God for the many years behind us, and may God grant us many more years together.


4 comments:

  1. Yuen Shin... Sorry to hear about your family's loss. I know how it feels like because I wasn't there for my popo's funeral too. I miss her. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Yan Qi: sorry to hear about your loss too. >.< i'm sure you are a good granddaughter to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences to you. Hope you're doing fine there. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm sorry to hear about your loss =(

    ReplyDelete