Thursday, June 28, 2012

Twenty-three


If my twelve-year-old self appeared before me, she would have been surprised. "You are twenty-three! And you look like you haven't changed a bit!"

My twelve-year-old self would have great expectations of me. I should have at least written a novel by now, worked several part-time jobs, traveled alone to some great cities in Europe or had a few relationships before. But I haven't done any of that. My twelve-year-old self would be sorely disappointed in me - in her future - because I am still working towards my first degree, still dependent on my parents and still very afraid to travel alone or confess to a person I like.

But I will tell her:

"Hey, you know we are good dreamers. As much as we embrace the night, we also love to enjoy the sunrise. You might be sorry that I am now twenty-three and very old (to you, anyway) but I assure you, twenty-three is not the end. It is the end of my days as a full-time student, being carefree. But this also marks the beginning of independence and becoming a full-fledged member of society. It certainly will be the beginning of many things - job, hobbies, love. Because we are such good dreamers, we will dream of new dreams and renew some. I am only twenty-three and you, twelve. We are afraid of changes happening around us, but we are also very hopeful for the future. And that should be good enough for us to go through each day. 


I hope this reassures you a little bit, even though you are very doubtful (I know this, because you were me). Come, take my hands. Let's walk together. And I hope that at the end of this road, our thirty-five-year-old self is not disappointed with what we have become."

No comments:

Post a Comment