Saturday, September 22, 2012

Departure

The wind was raging outside. I began to worry. Why does this have to happen on my last day?

Peter commented on the fickle weather. "I hope it settles soon. I need to collect my parcel from the post office," I said in return.

He raised an eyebrow. "Oh, what is it? Is it a book?" He knew I like to read.

"Er... it is a CD."

"What kind of CD?"

"Japanese rock band."

With widened eyes, he said: "Okay. Say no more."

I had to laugh. The timing for the release of Spyair's second album was pitch-perfect (pun very much intended). Then, Peter felt curious. "So, is it a boy band? With long hairs and thick make-ups?"

I cringed inwardly at the "boy band" phrase. I felt my cheeks slightly heated. I had to defend Spyair. "Well they are a rock band, yes. But they are not boys. All of them are already in their late 20s. And they wear t-shirts and jeans." Peter's fingers hovered over the keyboard. "What is their name again?"

"Spyair. S-P-Y-A-I-R."

Peter actually googled my favourite band. As I spelled out the name, a thought just struck me. Spyair just recently released a music video in which they performed entirely naked. Okay, what I just said seemed misleading because their 'important parts' were carefully masked by their instruments and the lighting was made tastefully. What if Peter thought I am a pervert because my favourite band did that? Thankfully the Youtube video he clicked on was "Reset" - a song from their indie days. "Well that is unexpected. I never thought you'll like this type of music."



Haha, many people think so too. I will accept that as a compliment. 

"So which one is your favourite member of the band? Is it this one?" Peter pointed at Ike.

"Oh no... I like the one with black line across his face." It is Momiken. I like him because of the lyrics he wrote. And I explained the line was actually just make-up. "Ah, just like Marilyn Manson."

The bell rang, announcing the arrivals of customers. In between moments of busyness, Helen (Peter's mom) asked me to help myself to the curry puffs and French toasts she made. She even cut one of the mooncakes I bought into eights. How efficient was she, for someone her age with poor knee joints! Jen (the intern) served a customer who came in for scripts. A whole stack of them. She looked at me with a glint in her eye. "So, you want to do? This is your last day to play."

I just laughed. "Okay sure. Why not?" I might not get the chance to use this dispensing system after today, I thought to myself as she handed me the scripts. After dispensing, I went to the back of the dispensary to help myself to more morning tea goodies. Then, I heard a knock on the backdoor. It must be Chris, Helen's other son. I opened the door and sure enough, the man was there. He talked to his brother. Helen was looking at her sons and said: "Chris is my eldest son. Peter is the youngest. They are three years apart. They look alike, don't they?"

I glanced at the brothers again. Personally I didn't think so but of course, I didn't say it aloud. There was a proud mother standing in front me after all. A thought struck me. "Helen, do you have any daughters?"

"No. I only have two sons. I wish to have a daughter." I was reminded of my Mimmy. Mimmy was the opposite. My mom has one daughter too many and waited fervently for a son. As if proving a point, Helen proceeded to say, "Daughters are good. Daughters take care of the parents." She practically told me the story of her life - how she is taking care of her parents and relatives in Penang by sending money back to them, how John (her husband) is so very supportive of her. "I married well. John is a kind man and is very good to me."

John was kind indeed. I even received a personal call from him. He thanked me for my work in the shop. "Thank you for having me here," I said finally. John had wanted to say goodbye to me personally, but it seemed that the shop had enough staff for the day. So he decided to stay home.

I was busy dispensing scripts until the very end. When 1pm came, everything was a blur and happened too quickly. Helen fished out two wrapped boxes - my souvenir. A card was placed atop as well. I don't need this, I thought. I wasn't very much of a help in this place. My yesterday's attempt at declining any gifts from Helen proved to be futile. I decided to be grateful and accept them. I took out my bag and file from the shelves. This time I mustn't forget my pink umbrella. I walked out slowly from the dispensary, thanking them profusely for everything they had done for me.

"Who knows we might meet again in Malaysia? We do a lot of travelling and we love to go into pharmacies to see what things they sell. We might be able to see you managing a pharmacy someday," Helen said, as I bid her goodbye.

"See you around. We will be here. I will be here for the next 15 years or so," Peter said to me. I just laughed weakly. I couldn't even imagine what next year will be like, what more 15 years down the road? I said a final goodbye to everyone, including Lindsay the postmaster.

"Take care. Don't get blown away by the wind now. Don't be like Mary Poppins!" Helen shouted as I stepped out from the pharmacy. I smiled and muttered to myself. How I wish I could be Mary Poppins! I braced the strong winds to the bus stop. It was as if the elements wanted me to stay. Funny how I could still smile in the end, even though I had shed many tears while walking along this road.

It wasn't until a few hours later when I had the chance to open the gifts and the card they gave me. I had to pick up my Spyair CD from the post office first of all. The presents weren't much of a surprise but the card was.

There it was! At the bottom of the page - Momiken's caricature! 

3 comments:

  1. Awww this got me all fuzzy and warm inside. Hope you had a good time there!

    HAHAHAHA Momiken in the card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww.. how sweet, for my placements, no matter how much i hate the placement, we are required to give a thank you gift to the preceptors. We are the free labour, and we have to pay extra for accommodation, transport and gift. But oh well, i guess it's the experience that counts right? *grin*
    And hurray for completing your placement successfully!
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete