Saturday, August 9, 2014

Everyone is a judgmental prick

There, I've said it.

I was on my morning tea break when three of the staff started to talk about C (one of our pharmacist) in the pantry.

"C is so into investing her money. I bet her boyfriend was the one teaching her how to do it," said Madam O innocently.
"You are wrong! O, you are so naive! She is the one who taught her boyfriend - not the other way around!" Kak K piped in.
P, another pharmacist, said: "Madam O, you only know half of the story. Let me tell you..."

Then they proceeded to clue Madam O in about C's 'unrealistic' and singular dream of making big money through direct sales. I just sat there and listened like I always do. Always observing and nodding my head occasionally like I understand. But I don't.

Because I had seen her in tears yesterday when she recounted her boyfriend's tight financial situation. I know that she dreamed of making enough to raise her future children in a secure environment. What they said about C is true. C is realistic to a fault, and seems to place material gains over almost everything else. She even sometimes neglects her pharmacist duties to entertain her clients' calls. I definitely do not agree with her behaviour. I can sympathise with her situation. I will not demonise her because I know her story.

Perhaps I am biased towards her. While I was crying from the stress of working in counter 3 a few months back, she was the one who approached me directly and asked: "What's wrong?" She was the one telling me to just 'do whatever you are supposed to do' and 'ignore the rest'. Other people happily clocked out from the pharmacy while C was helping me to calm down.  





No comments:

Post a Comment