Monday, March 22, 2010

Life is like vegetables

I think this happened a couple of days ago.

I saw the beautiful  bak choy in a basin of water in the kitchen. The green leafy vege with white stems were too pretty to be eaten.

An hour or so later, my housemate proceeded to cut the bak choy for cooking. She retained the green leafy parts and threw the rest into the bin. I was shocked. It is so wasteful! I thought.

Her explanation? She doesn't like to eat the stems.

Sure, sure... the green leafy parts are soft and nice to eat. But I think the fibrous stem parts are really tasty and they have got nice texture too. After all, the stems are the ones that support the leafy parts. Don't you think that the stems should be worthy of our praise and not discarded into the bin?

3 comments:

  1. but the stems are yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  2. eeeee wasteful~
    u know, when i was young, i didn't like stems at all. but as i grew older, i learnt how to appreciate them as well.
    i guess that has got to with life as well? =D

    ReplyDelete