Monday, April 13, 2009

Encounter

As I am doing research on my topic for Health Science Communication, my thoughts went back to a particular function I attended as a GB member back in Form 2. There, for the first time in my whole life, I encountered a HIV-positive person.

He looked just like any other person you may encounter on the street. I think I can still remember his face. He was thin but other than that, he looked very healthy. We were selling plants and crafts then, and he was among the few people who came by our GB stall and bought a couple of decorative plants. He was friendly and chatted with Jik Jane (I think, because she was the more talkative person in our group...XD). And then, he went up the stage and talked about his experience as a HIV-positive person. That very moment was imprinted on my mind forever. I couldn't remember exactly what he said on-stage; but I remembered thinking to myself: "They look like anyone else".

I don't know whether I would be afraid if I encountered another HIV-positive person again. Honestly, I don't know how I would react. But if that happens, I hope I would be able to tell myself not to be afraid of them.

1 comment:

  1. i guess they are just like us, just more special.

    like a person with cancer. still a person right?

    i think the stigma of "HIV positive" needs to be washed away.

    ReplyDelete