Sunday, August 1, 2010

hijacked!

my laptop and i almost died today.

i was happily reading Yotsubato on Mangafox when my laptop started giving me weird signals and told me that it had been infected by 34 viruses - some of which might be the infamous Trojan. i panicked. my first thought was: Oh no! My anime and drama series! My song library! I made sure it is not a false alarm of some sort. I clicked on most programs and they won't start at all. They were blocked by the viruses. The laptop warned: "Application has been infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus program now?"

Bloody hell, my antivirus has been activated all this while! Grrr...

And then, Antivir Solution Pro (demo version) told me that i need to upgrade my protection and directed me to a website which sells the complete program, at approximately 40 USD. it claimed to be effective in removing viruses, spyware etc.

i started to be suspicious when:
no.1: i need to pay to obtain the full version of the antivirus program.
no.2: i couldn't enter any other websites, except Antivir Solution Pro's.
no.3: i don't remember downloading the demo version at all!

i figured out it must be a malicious spyware/virus masquerading as an antivirus program. i sent an S.O.S to my sister and she helped me Google my problem. apparently, this predicament of mine is really common. based on the instructions from my sis, i manually disabled the idiotic/cheater/liar of an antivirus program. and the problem was solved, somewhat. the creepy file is still lurking somewhere in my laptop and i am out to get rid of it!

THANK YOU sis and also Mei Ing (for letting me use her computer to communicate with my sis) for saving my laptop's life. XD

and NO THANK YOU to the people who invented computer viruses/spywares!

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!That was close! Luckily it's not a super keng virus!

    but then i remembered people in mangafox complaining about getting virus from the site itself, so, that might be the reason why.

    ReplyDelete