Saturday, August 28, 2010

Malaysia's moment in time

It is all over the media now. Sensitive issues such as racism, that is. Some people view this new development with fear. They are afraid of the consequences that may follow - things like May 13 or Kampung Baru incident, for example. For me, I think it is a good development. Problems that plague us as a nation should be aired out in the public, debated and discussed, instead of being swept up under the carpet. It would be worse to have a nation of citizens apathetic to politics and current issues. It would be worse to have a community that is so unwilling to speak out against issues that matter.

I guess it cannot be helped that people are leaving in droves to emigrate to other countries when our very own is becoming like this. Instead of staying back and fight, they choose to give up. I don't really blame them but I feel very sad.

I believe that the day will come when we think of this period of 'social unrest' as another beginning for our country, and not the end.

PS: I also hope that the day will come for ex-Malaysians to regret their decision to leave the country.
To all the people who think that the Chinese should go back to China and the Indians should go back to India: The more you want me to leave, the more I want to stay. I really want to be an eyesore to people like you!

No comments:

Post a Comment