Friday, March 20, 2009

Tutorials!

Every Friday I get agitated. Frustrated. Maybe a little excited.
Why?
Because of tutorials!

Human Bio tutes are often frustrating because I always do not know everything there is to know about bio. I can't answer all the questions correctly and I always don't read enough! ARRGHHH!!!

Intro to Pharm Chem tutes are often exciting, frustrating, annoying and enlightening - all at the same time. My tutor (who is also my Organic Chem lecturer) often throws questions at us, expecting answers from our mouths. He said: Struggling is the best way to learn. So true. I learn so much.

Every week, without fail, he would destroy one of our high school's illusions.

For example:
Does HCl form hydrogen bonds? A good high school student would tell you "No" since there are no F, O or N atoms in HCl. What did he say today? He said: "Yes, there are hydrogen bonds BUT it's a weak-ish bond in HCl". Cl is an electronegative atom and thus, able to form hydrogen bonds with other HCl molecules.

See how I struggled with tutes every Friday? Gosh. It seems to me that the more we learn, the more facts that are taught previously is wrong.

Anyhow I sort-of like tutorials. It is a difficult learning process but I am sure it would reward me in a certain way in due course.

Hopefully.

3 comments:

  1. umm... im not sure i even know chem anymore reading what you wrote.. =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Your tutor has got a point there. xD I guess... always think out of the box?

    ReplyDelete
  3. to jiamun: yalor... seems like all we knoe about chem is wrong!!!

    to yanqi: i guess so then... but gets quite nervous each time he tried to dispel our 'illusions' from high school..

    ReplyDelete