Friday, November 6, 2009

My thoughts on Single-stream Schools

I think it is a good idea. Different schooling systems ie vernacular and national schools, are divisive. How do you unite Malaysians of various descents when they haven't got the chance to mix around?

But I must say that now is not the time to implement it. It is not because our people are not ready for such a change. Some of those in the position of power - those who hold posts in the government - are not ready for such a change. They have very racist views, which is such a shame because when the rest of the country wants to move forward, they are pulling us back.

If I were to have kids in the future, I would like them to go to a school where there are other Malaysian children from various cultures. I hope they would learn to look past the shades of one's skin, and rather focus on the strength and goodness of one's character. It is also my fervent hope that they are taught by teachers who are colour-blind as well and that the children would partake in various cultural activities that enhance their understanding of what Malaysia is all about.

Could this be done? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment