Saturday, July 24, 2010

Merdeka Day Countdown Celebration

It was 30th of August 2005. Decked out in our oversized blue Ts and jeans, we went to town. It was bustling with activity. Mamak stalls and other food joints were already crowded with people. It was a grand celebration, with our own Perak's Crown Prince coming to town. There were probably other non-locals within our vicinity as well. We bumped into a few friends along the way. They looked amazingly pretty, probably taking the chance to date... who knows? We were teenagers, out to have some good fun.

We marched on to Clock Tower. The square where the Tower is located was already brimming with people. I cannot remember intricate details of that night. But there were many performances - Malay dances, Indian martial art, etc. The Crown Prince looked like a speck of dust from where were. We sat among other fellow citizens, singing patriotic songs with all our might.

When the clock struck 12, we all shouted the magic word - 'Merdeka!". We sang our national song and waved the Malaysian flag. Singing with heartfelt emotions, we watched the fireworks display in the midnight sky. It might be excitement or adrenaline rushing through my veins, but at that moment, I swore I was proud to be a Malaysian.

Why am I reminiscing the distant past, you wonder? By reading the news, I am a tad disheartened by the politics and the ever prevalent problem of racism in our country. But I only have to reflect upon that night again, to remind myself that I am a Malaysian through and through.

No comments:

Post a Comment